Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Improvised Hugel. First Steps.

Started my hugel yesterday!  Had what I thought were a large amount of boxes. Turned out they only covered a small area, but its still a start. I'm using cardboard to try and "drowned out" the sandspurs! I figure my version of hugelkulture is based on improvisation anyway, might as well try whatever I want! Brought home more boxes today, will just keep expanding till I cover the area I had planned on.  And yes, I'm well aware that this could become a small disaster area if I don't get it covered up with enough stuff!!! chuckle
   
Threw on a few dead palm fronds and small branches and twigs from the sycamore and mulberry tree that are nearby. I'm supposed to put the larger wood first, but most of that isn't even cut yet! So I using whatever I have.

Then trimmed some laurel branches. I'm adding both dead and green wood and leaves. Need to cut the branches up a bit more, but it was easier to drag them across the yards this size. Trust me, its way too hot here in Florida to make extra work for yourself!

And here are the old sycamore leaves! LOTS of them! Partially decayed and ready to go. Then I have the pine shavings out of the chicken house... complete with chicken manure. That ought to help a lot!
Will probably still need to get a truckload of dirt someday, but that can wait till cooler weather. For now, I'll just keep adding and layering. My main goal is to raise the level of the soil in that corner. Creating enriched soil is an added bonus!!!
Another bonus: Driving my neighbors nuts because they can't figure out what the hell I'm doing over there on the corner lot!!! hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment