Monday, August 5, 2013

I Learned a New Word ~ Hugelkulture.



   Oh my, received and watched a short video on Permaculture yesterday. Nice young couple up in Jacksonville, Florida. Really got me to thinking!!! I'm sure I can apply some of those same principles to my yard and the corner lot. Utilize yard "waste" and improve the soil all at the same time. Sounds good right? No compost bins to turn and tend. Well, heck yeah! So I spent the morning poking around the back yard and checking out the low spots over on the empty lot. (Got lots of sandspur plants to dig up over there. And I need to do it BEFORE they grow actual spurs!)  Pulled weeds and made plans. Pulled more weeds and pondered planting locations. Pulled MORE weeds and thought about the chicken tractor plans I'd seen. Then pulled EVEN MORE weeds and wondered if I could put in a tiny duck pond............. at that point I came to my senses and figured the heat was getting to me! haha
   But seriously, I've been trying to figure out how to dispose of the small branches I seem to always have on the ground ~ and now I know. I'll build a couple of hugels with them! I can use some of the old sycamore leaves and the pine shavings from the hen house to place on top. Extra dirt is a little harder to come by, but I'll figure out something!! I'm skipping the green stuff for now as I won't be planting anything on them for a long time! I've been thinking along those lines for a few years now, but actually seeing it being executed by someone was the boost I needed.   Yep, I'm going to try my hand at hugelkulture. It mimics Nature and seems pretty darned idiot proof.  Of course, I will be posting photos of my endeavors!   Now I want to think about that chicken tractor some more................ hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment