Friday, May 4, 2012

International Respect for Chickens Day.

Did you know that May 4th is International Respect for Chickens Day? And May is International Respect for Chickens month? I didn't until a little while ago...... so I went out and gave my "girls" some fresh picked mulberries and extra vegetable and fruit scraps. Then decided to post some pictures of them in appreciation. You can tell they've had treats because their beaks are so dirty. Guess I should have wiped them clean before I took these photos. ha ha ha  Anyway, this is Helga. Shes approximately 10 pounds of seriousness! With a good dose of bad attitude thrown in. This is NOT a bird to mess with! She is a perfect example of "large and in charge".  (But she lets me hug her every morning and in the evening before they go up to roost)

And here are: Rosetta/Reuben in the lower left. "He" is the "rooster" that lays eggs sometimes. (Don't ask me! I've given up trying to figure it out)   Hester is in the background. Her health has always been a touch "off". But shes a good layer and the most loving of the family.  Hermoine is on the right. I think she is the prettiest, but I don't say it in front of the others. Shes definitely the most nervous and a little timid. But she loves it when I tuck her securely in my arm and walk around with her. Why walk when you can ride?

Aother shot of the trio above. As you can see in the upper left, I use plastic cat carriers minus the doors as mobile nest boxes. Really easy to clean up and disinfect too!

No comments:

Post a Comment