Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Intro To Purslane.


All right folks, here is an introduction to one of my favorite "weeds". I'll post some photos first to give everyone a chance to go out and look to see if this grows in your area. Its supposed to grow on most continents. I'll give more information and some food tips in the next post. Here in Florida,USA. it grows most everywhere! When mine blooms it has small pretty yellow flowers, occasionally they are more pinkish red. Leaves are a succulent type. You eat them and the stems too. I would think that the blooms are safe also. I first ate purslane when I was in Ohio visiting my Aunt Mae. We used to saute it with onions and a little bit of bacon. Now that was some "good eatin' "!

Here is a closer look. Those grassy looking leaves are called nut sedge. I weeded them out after I took this shot. As far as I know it has NO redeemable qualities. At least not in my yard and garden!
   
This is a specimen on the west side of my home. It gets more sunlight, and perhaps thats why the stems are more red, as are the edges of the leaves. I've found that purslane usually grows near, or with, spurge. Please don't confuse them. Spurge is supposed to be toxic! If you break the stem, it will ooze a white sap. I will include a photo of spurge next time. So get outside and take a look around. Its a vitamin packed green thats free for the harvesting. Unless you WANT to go to a fancy farmer's market and pay big bucks for it.
So check back in for the next purslane post.

No comments:

Post a Comment