Saturday, April 14, 2012

Brings Back Memories.

 A nice breeze scented by roses, dappled sunlight and quilts airing out on the clothesline. A morning can't get much better than this.
   I used to air out my quilts and blankets every Spring, just like my Granny taught me. A gently washing if they needed it. But thats been something else that I've neglected the last few years.  So with the low humidity today, I seized the opportunity to pull a few out of the old cedar chest. Including some tops I'd pieced, but didn't get around to finishing.
    I see the "Broken Dishes" quilt that I made before my daughter was born needs a good washing! The muslin background is covered with that awful staining that seems to happen to fabrics when they've been packed away too long. Oh My!
      Its good to see the crazy quilt that my great-grandma made. That woman didn't waste any scrap of material!!! Well, for that matter, neither did her daughter.
    When Granny aired her quilts it was a family affair. Because she had LOTS of them! She'd pick a day, my mom and some of her sisters would show up, with their children of course. We didn't get out of working! But somehow it was always fun. They'd take the coverings out of the closet and Granny would inspect each one. Handwashing if they needed it. Seemed like a continual procession of quilts carried out to the line and hung. My, how we loved to run in and out and under all those coverings as they swayed in the breeze! And they really swung! She had this long clothesline! Tied to pine trees and propped up in between the trees by cypress poles that Granddad had cut. When that line got to moving, the poles would start swinging too. It was great fun to dart through a bunch of clothes or quilts when the wind was strong. And they lived near the mouth of the river, so the breezes were usually really good! What fun and wonderful memories on a beautiful day.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment