Saturday, July 19, 2014

There are those moments in Life.... that touch deeply.


It seems he comes into the store almost every day.
Always sad looking, always alone.
Always nice and well mannered.
Riding in a motorized scooter.
When he tries to walk, you can tell he is in pain.
Today he had on his World War II veteran cap.
Today he came and picked out a couple of doughnuts.
As usual I walked around the counter to put them in the basket on his scooter.
He had all ready stood up and then started to lower himself into the seat with great difficulty.
As usual he thanks me, then again..."Thank you" he utters in that hollow sounding speech of the deaf. 
You can tell he has lost his hearing over time.
But today he looked up at me and asked if I had children....
when I answered "yes", he sat up a straighter and said ....
"Don't let them join the military.
  Don't let them go to war!"
Then he sank back down and started touching his chest...
"Thank God. God saved me. He saved me."
He made the sign of the cross and moved his head slowly from side to side.
"Me."
His voice barely a whisper, his head still moving back and forth, he uttered "war" once more.
His hand motions indicated that he wouldn't speak of the rest....
Then a soft "Thank you" before rolling away.



No comments:

Post a Comment