Monday, March 19, 2012

19 Days Later......

   On February 29th I posted a photo of this same sycamore tree. A little more of a close-up, but in its bare branches was a single robin and its very first leaf of the Spring season. What a difference nineteen days make!!!
    This tree was planted in 1981. And it obviously is very happy with its location. When my parents bought it at a fundraising event for the FFA at a local high school it was about ten inches tall and as big around as a pencil lead! I repeat, its a VERY HAPPY tree. Over the years it has offered shade to many. Branches for children to climb in.... and held a swing or two. Functioned as an "apartment complex" for a wide variety of bird nests, including hummingbirds, and many a squirrel nest too. The ospreys gather some of the top twigs and branches for their nest every year. And when an owl settles into the branches in early evening to prepare for it's nighttime hunt... all the other inhabitants go very quiet indeed.
    These are just a few of the things that make a tree such a wonderful living being! It would be hard to list all the reasons why I love this one so much. Its an old friend standing vigil to the comings and goings of my life through all these years. And whenever I need a bit of comfort, I look out my window and there he stands.  Strong, ever present in the moment and with those great arms outstretched in an Embrace to the World and the Heavens! 
    We could all learn a lot from my friend.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment